Monday, November 5, 2012

2012 Breeders' Cup Recap

I'll be posting/updating my recap here, but I want to watch all the races again before I put my final thought together.  Please check back this weekend, I should have everything posted by then.  Also, I'm only recapping the races I posted on my blog.  I hope everyone had a good Breeders' Cup.


Friday - see Friday selections

Race 5 - Breeder's Cup Marathon G2
It was great to catch Calidoscopio at 17-1, that was about 20% based on the past performances and 80% on what Mike Welsch said about his workouts.  This was and oddly run race, Calidoscopio came from so far back that he was actually described as being detached from the field.  But his late run starting early on the back stretch was really amazing to watch.  Atigun ran a good race and tried to kick away on the far turn only to be run down late stretch.  But, then again he is only a 3 year old, so we are likely to see him improve and run well in 2013 in distance races such as the Brooklyn.


Race 8 - Breeder's Cup Filly and Mare Turf G1
I've like Zagora all year, but if this race was run again, I'd move Zagora up from my 5th selection, but still pick The Fugue to win.  The Fugue was crying out for room to run and was not able to get clear until much too late.  I think she could have bested the field if she was in the clear coming off the turn.  The other Euro's disappointed.  Marketing Mix ran a good race, but she also benefited from The Fugue's traffic troubles.



Race 9 - Breeder's Cup Distaff/Ladies Classic G1
Royal Delta gets my performance of the day.  She was unbelievable setting fast fractions and then still putting them away in the stretch.  Hats off to Mike Smith giving her a great ride, staying out of her way and knowing that he had plenty of horse even with those fast fractions.  Though there were several good horses in here, she was easily the best if she ran her best race.  My Miss Aurelia was a good second and Awesome Feather did not run near as well as I thought she would.  But it should be said that the race changed when the gates opened and something was obviously wrong with Questing when she didn't break well.  That allowed Royal Delta to grab the lead.  Still, I don't think Questing would have beaten Royal Delta on that day, but with the way the track was playing she may have hung around in the Exacta or Trifecta.



Saturday - see Saturday selections

Race 5 - Breeder's Cup Filly & Mare Sprint G1
Groupie Doll lived up to her expectations kicking away coming off the turn.  She was very much the best and the race wasn't closed.  Dust and Diamonds ran a great run to be second, but was not match for Groupie Doll.  Switch continued her Breeders' cup consistency, that is to turn in a not so good work the week before and then run in the money.


Race 6 - Breeder's Cup Dirt Mile G1
Tapizar took advantage of Shackleford's horrible start and went straight to the lead, which he shared with Emcee until Tapizar opened up in the stretch.  It turned out to be a winning move.  Shackleford stumbled at the start, not horribly, just horribly for Shackleford.  He needed to break well and be on the lead or stalking very close to the lead, instead the stumble put behind a wall of horses and he used a lot of energy moving up on the outside of the first turn.  While the rest of the horses were relaxing as they turned onto the backstretch, Shackleford was still running hard to get into position.  As I wrote in my selections this is a 2 turn mile and I believe that made a difference for some horses.  Emcee was well placed with every chance, but tailed off in the stretch.  Rail Trip was 5 lengths off and ran well while on the inside, but was not match for Tapizar.



Race 7 - Breeder's Cup Turf Sprint G1
I have to hand it to Mizdirection and the bettors, they nailed this one.  Mike Smith gave Mizdirection a great ride, rolling up on the outside just in time.  Reenesgotzip ran a very credible race against the boys, especially for as wide open as this race was.  Unbridled's Note looked a winner until Mizdirection ran him down just before the wire.  From a betting angle, there was a lot of value in the Exacta.  You had to spend money and spread or play it small and hope you where right.


Please check back, more to come...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment