Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Betting the Preakness - Some Preliminary Thoughts

Preakness Stats Guide
Get ready for the Preakness Stakes with our Preakness Stats Guide.  Packed full of stats and analysis to help you include and exclude horses in the second leg of the Triple Crown. 

Betting the Preakness - Some Preliminary Thoughts
As for the Preakness, field size will dictate a lot for me along with who enters. I'll never criticize anyone for taking a stand against a favorite, but I think CC will finish in the Trifecta for sure (assuming no major issues) and there are some strong stats that point to him as the likely winner (not to mention basic handicapping). As always, the top 3 betting choices will be heavily boxed, as well as the top 2 betting choices with the 4th choice. My goal will be to see if I can get "any two" of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th betting choices out of the Trifecta, so we'll need a decent field size to make this happen. Depending on who enters, I'd like to see at least 9 or 10 horses in the field.

In 2008, Big Brown won at odds of 1/5. There were 12 horses that ran in the Preakness that year. Because the 2nd and 3rd betting choices ran 6th and 11th, the $2 Trifecta paid $336.80 and a $1 Superfecta paid $1192.30. Smaller than you would like, but not bad for a 1/5 winning. Certainly, had Gayego (2nd betting choice) finished in the exotics as well it would have paid a lot less.


If I don't think it is possible to get two of these guys out of the Trifecta, then I will create a smaller combination ticket and punch it several times like I did in 2012.


Just some preliminary thoughts.  Looking forward to heading to Baltimore next Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment