Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Post Arkansas Derby & Blue Grass Thoughts...

Keeneland - Bluegrass Stakes
Java's War put in a good late run to just get up for the win that was reminiscent of Dullahan last year.  Also, I was glad to see Palace Malice hold on for 2nd which gives him enough points to get into the Derby.  But, to be honest I wasn't all that impress with much coming out of this race.  The time seemed slow and to be honest it finished like a turf race with a cavalry charge the end, so no one really distinguished themselves.  Of course, as with all the horses we'll have to wait and see what Mike Welsch says leading up to the Kentucky Derby.   I will say this, Java's War will have traffic to deal with, but he maybe one of those horses that keep plodding along and ends up in the Trifecta or Superfecta.


Keeneland - Maker's 46 Mile
Wise Dan posted a 99 beyer while holding Data Link at bay during the stretch.  While I've heard criticism that he posted his first sub 100 beyer in some time, it was by 1 point off a layoff.  To me he looked good and as the year progress should prove to be just as good as last year.  Part of this I am basing on the fact that Data Link is a strong closer and he couldn't even collar Wise Dan, it was almost as if Wise Dan was toying with him.


Oaklawn Park - Oaklawn Handicap
I didn't see Fort Larned running that flat, but every horse is due a clunker now and then.  I think the best thing to do is draw a line through it and see how he runs next out.  The horse I was most disappointed in was Alternation.  I really this horse and would like to see him round back into decent form.  Cyber Secret definitely proved he loves Oaklawn and solidified himself as a horse to be reckoned with in the future.


Oaklawn Park - Arkansas Derby
I was really disappointed in this race.  I really thought this lined up to be a 2 horse race between Oxbow and War Academy.  Oxbow, broke a little slower than the others and Gary Stevens let him ease into the race verses trying to get to the first flight of horses.  This put Oxbow in the back of the pack and completely out of his game.  Watching the race live I felt like he had lost going into the first turn and he never made any kind of run.  War Academy was between horses on the back stretch, but looked like he had a shot if he could get clear running room.  But, Mike Smith thought he sensed something wasn't right and pulled the horse up, which was the right thing to do.  Mike is a hall of fame jockey who has sat on thousands upon thousands of horses and I'm sure he knows what if feels like when a horse isn't traveling good.  And, doing the right thing for the horse by living to fight another day is always the right thing...even if it cost you a spot in the Kentucky Derby.  As a handicapper I simply don't have the credentials to criticize a hall of fame jockey on this one.  Though the race was run excruciatingly slow, Overanalyze had to close into this slow pace and was drawing away at the end.  That suggest to me he was much better than the rest of this field (less maybe the trouble Oxbow) and he looked good winning at the end too.  Yes, he only earned an 88 beyer which should weigh heavily when handicapping, but it is always important to investigate how that figure was earned.


I'll be putting my Kentucky Derby watch in a separate post.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment