Friday, March 1, 2013

2013 Kentucky Derby Watch List

On the Eve of Pool 2 opening I thought I would update my current watch list.  I always feel like these can be a little futile given how much the scene can change between now and the first Saturday in May.  But, I do like to dabble in the futures pool and putting this list together helps me.

1)  Revolutionary - His Withers Stakes was still one of the best races I have seen this year.  I love a horse who shows heart and will put his head down and run to the wire.  And he showed that in the Withers.

2)  Flashback -  I'm very interested to watch his next start, but he was certainly flashy in his last.

3)  Normandy Invasion - A lot of people jumped off this horse after his Risen Star.  But, I actually saw some things I liked and have moved him up.  Recovering from a bad stumble takes a lot out of a horse and he was by far moving best late.  Which leads me to believe he may like the added ground.  One thing to note, he has ZERO points which means he desperately needs to get in the money in his next race.

4)  Shanghai Bobby - His next race should tell us much more, but he definitely ranks up there with the top right now.

5)  Verrazano - Ready to see him step up against better and stretch out in distance.

6)  Overanalyze - If he overcomes the 12 hole Saturday, he must be considered.

7)  Orb - Admittedly, I'm still not crazy about this horse because he got the perfect pace setup for his style in the Fountain of Youth.  But he did win against a game Violence and that is enough to put him on the list for now.

8)  Itsmyluckday - Worth a thought, esp in the Exacta in the future pool. Plus I wanted to end on an even number!

Good luck if you play the Kentucky Derby Futures in Pool 2!  And don't forget to use the field because remember, Bodemeister had only broken his Maiden at this point last year!

A couple of plays to consider-

$1 - Revolutionary, Flashback, Normandy Invasion / Revolutionary, Flashback, Normandy Invasion, Shanghai Bobby, Verrazano, Overanalyze, Orb = $18 Exacta

$1 - Revolutionary, Flashback, Normandy Invasion / The Field = $3 Exacta

No comments:

Post a Comment