Monday, February 25, 2013

Recap - Fountain of Youth & Risen Star Day

Fair Grounds

Race 7 - Fair Grounds Handicap
I thought Optimizer was best in here before all the scratches come out.  Once all the horses bailed out of this one I really thought he was a cinch.  Unfortunately, I didn't catch all those scratches in time to get the website updated, but I was able to make a decent score on him.  After being pushed along the Triple Crown trail last year, I think Optimizer has found a home on the turf.  And he seems to relish the soft turf, which is worth noting in your PP software.

Race 8 - Mineshaft Handicap
I need to apologize to any of my followers who played my Trifecta suggestion.  I left it vulnerable to my D & E selections running 2nd & 3rd.  This is an option I rarely leave open when playing a Trifecta, but I thought in this spot that Mark Valeski and Infrattini where much the best in here and would like both be in the Trifecta.  I'm sorry, my mistake.  Mark Valeski ran a great race and has potential to be a player in the Handicap division.  He was trapped and had to wait for room, but once he was clear he rolled home much the best.  Infrattini didn't run much at all.

Race 9 - Rachel Alexandra Stakes
Pletcher had Unlimited Budget ready and she rolled home an easy winner.  Now she was help by a fast pace set by Dancinginthecircle who was just too fast early to hold on to anything late.  The pace definitely help the closers here.
 
Race 10 - Risen Star Stakes
I wouldn't have bet Ive Struck a Nerve in here with your money, but he got up for the win and will likely be running in this years Kentucky Derby.  Oxbow looked the likely winner coming off  the turn, but he faded slightly in the stretch.  Normandy Invasion just crawled out of the gate, then stumbled a few jumps into the race and had to settle at the back of the pack.  But he is the one horse I like coming out of this race.  With his troubled start he was moving best late when every other horse seemed to hang a little.  He was eating up ground coming to the wire and had this been a 1-1/8 mile race he would have made it really interesting.  That said, he still has to prove it, so it will be interesting to see how he runs next out.

Gulfstream Park

Race 9 - Davona Dale Stakes
Live Lively got the jump on the field and lead all the way through a solid pace.  Dreaming of Julia had a shot to run down Live Lively, but was never a threat.  Private Ensign rated well, but was never a threat on the leader.

Race 10 - Canadian Turf Stakes
Data Link was much the best in here and he should have been because he way outclassed this field.  He was 4 wide on the 2nd turn, but did have a solid pace to run into.  Za Approval seemed to be blocked late and had to steady just before the wire.  It's possible it cost him 3rd place.

Race 11 - Fountain of Youth Stakes
Ord did come running down the lane for the win, but he did have a fast pace to run tinto.  Violence set closer to the pace than he probably needed to be and seemed to move too soon on the far turn.  But, if Castellano believe he was on the best horse then he probably thought time to make them come get me.  Which I can't fault him for riding that way.  I did like the way Violence dug back in once Orb collared him, but unfortunately we won't get to see him move forward with the report coming out that he has been injured and most likely retired.  Other than those two I really didn't see much else I liked in this race.

No comments:

Post a Comment