Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Post Arkansas Derby and Blue Grass Stakes Thoughts

Well we certainly saw some great races this weekend and though it didn't change the graded earnings race for the derby much, it definitely shook up the race for who will be the favorite of the Kentucky Derby.  Bodemeister not only got himself in the derby with an impressive win in the Arkansas Derby, he may have very well solidified himself as the favorite.  Below I've listed my top Kentucky Derby contenders along with some notes on why I like them.

My Top Kentucky Derby Contenders
1) Creative Cause - This horse got the best of Bodemeister earlier in the year.  Though admittedly Bodemeister wasn't as developed as he is now.  I like the way Creative Cause closes late and if they can get him to stop worrying about the crowd he could be a real threat.
2) Union Rags - Given the circumstances of the Fla Derby and that he was on the only horse gaining on the leader in the stretch, I think it shows how game of a horse he is.  Leparoux learned a lot and Union Rags should appreciate the extra distance.  I think he closes like a derby horse.
3) Bodemeister - Very impressive win in the Arkansas Derby.  A run like that in Kentucky and there is your derby winner!  A little worried if he has to rate in the derby, but I like that he has Mike Smith riding him.
4) Dullahan - Another horse who closes like a derby winner and it doesn't hurt your feelings that Kent Desormeaux is riding.  Strong in the Blue Grass, though I do think he had some pace help with Hansen's faster splits.
5) Gemologist - Stubborn late in the Wood Memorial to hold off Alpha.  Coming off the 2nd turn I didn't think he looked as visually impressive as some others on this list, but the way he fought back and held off a closing Alpha definitely caused my eyebrows to raise.
6) Hansen - I really don't think he can get the derby, save for a few other horses having a terrible trip.  That being said we do know that he likes Churchill and I do expect him to run well in the derby.  I definitely plan to use him in my exotics.  However, I will say I was impressed with his faster splits and he still held strong for second.  Also, it didn't seem like Dominguez was riding Hansen hard late and I'm sure that was on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment