Saturday, September 17, 2011

Winter Memories Explodes Late

In my Post Woodward Thoughts blog I said I couldn't wait for Winter Memories to run again because of her troubled trip in the Woodford.  She did not disappoint in my desire to see her return to the winners circle, but it wasn't just another win.  She exploded past her rivals like they were standing still, going from last to first all inside the 1/16 pole.  Coming into the far turn I thought what is Castellano doing - Winter Memories was losing ground with nowhere to go.  On the turn and into the stretch when the other horses started to move it seemed Winter Memories was not going to fire as she was last tucked behind a wall of horses.  Then finally late in the stretch, as my heart had dropped into admitted defeat, Hungry Island cleared on the outside and Javier Castellano moved Winter Memories quickly to the outside and asked her to run...and WOW did she ever!  I'm not sure if I have ever seen a horse accelerate like that.  I'm sure her connections were near cardiac arrest as Winter Memories crossed the finish line a neck in front of Theyskens' Theory.  Hungary Island, her rival from their last race the Lake Placid, was very wide on the far turn and placed fourth.  Thank you Winter Memories, I can truly say I was speechless!

No comments:

Post a Comment